Start time: 12.00 pm
End time: 2.00 pm
This event is now available to view on:
This event will be run as a live webinar using Zoom. Click here for information on using Zoom.
Residential Property Investment
Duncan Lyster, Head of Residential Property, Irish Life Investment Managers
- A proven asset class internationally, now a compelling investment opportunity domestically.
- In the last decade investment in the residential sector in Ireland has been professionalised. The residential investment sector has become a core investment sector.
- It has more than held its own with strong rental and capital value performance in recent years and particularly in the world with Covid-19 in 2020.
- The sector has displayed its defensive diversification and solid income generative qualities. Internationally real estate investors look to allocate about 25% of their capital into residential and allocations are typically much lower than that for many Irish Investors.
Michael Butler – Investment Director, Mercer Alternatives
- The recent growth in private markets
- Where the recent growth is expected to go from here and the implications for investors
- The challenges investors face to building a private markets portfolio
China – an introduction as an investment opportunity
Stephen Kam - Head of Product Management, Asia ex Japan Equities, Schroders
- We hear a lot about China every day, be it US/China trade wars, or being conscious that many consumer goods that we use every day are made in China. But not many of us invest there, and certainly not many of us invest directly.
- This presentation is to provide an introduction to the modern-day aspects of this vast continent and vast economy; where growth is coming from and what is driving productivity, the impact of urbanisation, the level of education in the country, the investment in R&D, and where the opportunities lie, and finally how the ability to invest in their domestic equity market has opened up to investors
|NB: As a security measure, there is a two-step registration process before you receive the link to join any webinar or meeting. The first step is to register your interest in attending the webinar/meeting by making a reservation for an event via the Society’s website. You will receive a link to then register via the Zoom platform. It is after this second registration step that you will receive the link to join the webinar or meeting.|
Duncan joined Irish Life in 2020 and is responsible for the development and management of the Irish Residential Property Fund. He is a general-practice chartered surveyor with over 27 years’ experience in residential and commercial property in Dublin and London. Prior to joining Irish Life, Duncan was the Managing Director and Head of Capital Markets of Lisney, Ireland’s largest independent property agency firm with 140 people across nine offices. Prior to that he worked with CBRE in its City of London office in the UK. Duncan holds a BSc (Estate Management) from the University of Greenwich, London and a Diploma in Auctioneering, Valuation & Estate Agency from the Dublin Institute of Technology. He is a member of Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland and the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. He completed the Leading Professional Services Firms executive education course at the Harvard Business School in 2016.
Michael is an Investment Director within Mercer’s Alternatives team, working on asset allocation, portfolio construction and manager selection across all private market asset classes. Michael is also involved with the implementation of investors’ private markets program and managing that program over time. Michael joined Mercer in 2015 and has brought a range of financial solutions to Mercer’s insurance and pension scheme clients with a more recent specialised focus on private market solutions. Previously he held senior roles as Head of Investment Consulting at LCP and Willis Towers Watson in Ireland. In addition, Michael has strong credentials in asset management spending 5 years as the Head of Portfolio Management at Lee Overlay Partners, managing a $10bn active currency hedge fund product for institutional investors globally. Michael is a Fellow of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, and also a CFA and CAIA Charterholder.
Stephen is Head of Product Management for the Asia ex Japan Equities region at Schroders. Stephen joined Schroders in October 2018 from HSBC Global Asset Management where he was Senior Product Specialist, Asia ex Japan Equities. Prior to this, Stephen was an Equity Salesperson with a number of investment banks including Merrill Lynch, CLSA and Standard Chartered. Stephen started his investment career in 1997 as a research analyst with Merrill Lynch. Stephen graduated with a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of British Columbia and is a Canadian Chartered Accountant.
Deep Dive: This is a Deep Dive Event.
|27/05/2021||SAI User Guide for Zoom webinars - Attendees.pdf||312.01 KB||Download|
|05/07/2021||Residential Property Investment , Duncan Lyster||1.07 MB||Download|
|05/07/2021||Private Markets, Michael Butler||1.21 MB||Download|
|05/07/2021||China – an introduction as an investment opportunity, Stephen Kam||1.73 MB||Download|
|26/07/2021||LIA CODE||194.69 KB||Download|
|26/10/2021||IOB CODE||26.55 KB||Download|