Start time: 6.00 pm
End time: 7.30 pm
If you missed this webinar, click here to watch the recording via actuview.
This event will be run as a live webinar using Zoom. Click here for information on using Zoom.
The event will focus on grief and loss, not just on the grief of bereavement but also on the grief arising from losing things we value in life – love, freedom, our career, the life we expected to have.
The principal speaker will be Dr. Susan Delaney, a distinguished Clinical Psychologist and Mindfulness teacher, who has practised, taught and published in the area of bereavement and loss for over 30 years. In her talk to the Society, she will discuss the grief process, how can we help ourselves and how to help each other, highlighting the importance of connection and showing up for each other.
Dr. Delaney will be joined for a panel discussion by:
Helen Wells, a Fellow of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries with 14 years of pensions consultancy experience. Helen lost two of her close family members at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic and wanted to share her experience of living with loss and grief during a pandemic when some of the usual support methods were unavailable.
Emily Nichols, also a Fellow of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries and a Pensions Actuary / Director. Through her involvement in Diversity & Inclusion initiatives, Emily has driven the agenda on inclusive leadership, understanding neurodiversity, increasing LGBT+ support and addressing racial inequality. She is a strong role model in demonstrating that it is possible to make a significant contribution to the business while also bringing up a young family as a single Mum. Emily will discuss the challenges of juggling these various responsibilities and in particular over the past 12 months.
Michael Fitzgerald, who is a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries in Ireland and the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, a former member of Council of the Society and a member of our Diversity & Inclusion Committee. Apart from his day job as Director of Fitzgerald Actuarial Limited, Michael is a mental health advocate and is project director for SomeRiseSomeFall, a creative collective combining music, art and video to address the nature of grief and loss. He will talk about how he is addressing these issues by focusing on the power of kindness and beauty.
The event is organised by the Society’s D&I Committee and will be hosted and facilitated by Gareth McQuillan, the Chair of the Society’s Wider Fields Committee, which is working to break the stereotypes that are often associated with actuaries and their work, including recognising and accepting our vulnerability and humanity.
|NB: As a security measure, there is a two-step registration process before you receive the link to join any webinar. The first step is to register your interest in attending a webinar by making a reservation for an event via the Society’s website. You will receive a link to then register via the Zoom platform. It is after this second registration step that you will receive the link to join the webinar.|
If, following the SAI “Loss Adjusting…” session, you are looking for additional supports:
- THE IRISH HOSPICE FOUNDATION has a dedicated phone line for all bereavements on 1800 80 70 77 and lots of information on their website at https://hospicefoundation.ie/
- PIETA HOUSE - support for suicidal ideation: Text HELP to 51444 - https://www.pieta.ie/
- ANAMCARA - support for bereaved parents: https://anamcara.ie/
- AWARE - support for depression: 1800 80 48 48 - https://www.aware.ie/
- SAMARITANS - 24 hour listening ear: Phone 1169 123 or email email@example.com - https://www.samaritans.org/ireland/samaritans-ireland/
There is also a broad range of other supports available, including:
- FREE 24/7 SUPPORT IN A CRISIS: Free-text Hello to 50808 (funded by the HSE) - https://text50808.ie/
- HSE: Bereavement and loss - https://www2.hse.ie/wellbeing/mental-health/bereavement-and-loss.html
- FOCUS IRELAND: 01 881 5950 - https://www.focusireland.ie/
- WOMEN’S AID: 1800 341 900 - https://www.womensaid.ie/
- MEN’S AID: 01 554 3811 - https://www.mensaid.ie/
- SIMON COMMUNITY: 01 872 0815 - https://www.simon.ie/
The Society is providing these lists for information purposes only. The Society does not accept responsibility for information or services provided by other parties.
Personal Development: This is a Personal Development Event.